- Tennis Club Courts
- Tennis Club Management
- Tennis Club Staff
- Tennis Club Website Features
- Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Membership
- USTA Flagship Program — Play and Learn Tennis
- Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Website & Information
- News & Updates
- Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Apparel & Accessories
- Events & Happenings
- Register for the Intraclub Combo Doubles League
- October 2 – November 13 – Intraclub Combo Doubles League
- Introductory Offer for Non-Members:
- League Details:
- May 29-31 – Memorial Day Junior Tournament
- June 11-13 – Kamehameha Day Adult & Junior Tournament
- July 10 – Summer Orange Ball Tournament
- July 11 – 1st Annual Breakfast at Wimbledon
- July 17 – Summer Green Ball Tournament
- July 18-August 25 – 40+ Mixed Doubles 8.0 League Season
- Register for the Intraclub Combo Doubles League
- Related Content
- Share this Page
Tennis Club Courts
Open to the general public, the Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, is home to 4 renovated Latexite hard courts, 3 with lights.
Find the Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club, oceanfront at 75-5852 Alii Drive, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
Tennis Club Management
Newly managed by USTA Hawaii Pacific, Inc., players of all ages and levels can enjoy USTA flagship programs and more.
Tennis Club Staff
Meet the new Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club USTA Staff, Director of Tennis, Albert Murata, and Assistant Professional, Terry Maruyama.
You could find Director of Tennis, Albert Murata, stringing racquets in the AM Stringing Pro Shop, teaching on the courts, coaching a youth tennis team, or playing league tennis! He has a long history in the tennis community from Kona to Oahu.
Assistant Professional, Terry Maruyama, is always standing ready to teach lessons and introduce you to Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club members and others in the Kailua-Kona, Hawaii tennis community.
To contact the tennis staff email: email@example.com
Tennis Club Website Features
For full access to the Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club website features, including court bookings and lesson registrations:
USTA Members — sign in with your USTA membership email and password.
Non-USTA Members — sign up for a free account, then sign in.
Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Membership
Enhance your Kailua-Kona, Hawaii tennis experience with the benefits of a Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Membership!
Free court usage with online advance court booking privileges and discounts on lessons, AM Stringing Pro Shop, racquet stringing, and more.
USTA Flagship Program — Play and Learn Tennis
Now offering affordable USTA Play and Learn Tennis classes for youth and adults right here in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
All abilities are welcome, and the program is available to players ages five and up.
USTA Play and Learn Classes
For more information, including a list of classes: USTA Play and Learn Tennis
Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Website & Information
Visit the Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club for more information.
We look forward to seeing you on the courts!
News & Updates
September/October – RSI Magazine Article
August 13 – New court umbrellas
Now we have shade on every court, depending on the time of day.
- In the morning, courts 1 and 4 have built-in shade thanks to the retaining wall on the mauka side of each court. Court 2 is the only one without shade. Court 3 has shade from the newly installed umbrellas.
- In the afternoon, courts 2 and 4 have shade. Court 2 has shade from the umbrella. On court 4, feel free to move the benches to the makai side of the court, then you’ll have shade from the built-in palm trees. Courts 1 and 3 do not have shade.
The umbrellas will be left open during pro shop hours. If it’s too windy, the umbrella will be left down.
If you’d like to use the umbrella when the pro shop is closed, please use the crank to open the umbrella. Once the umbrella goes past the hole on the rod, insert the metal pin to secure it. When closing the umbrella, please remember to remove the metal pin before cranking it back down. Mahalo!
Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club Apparel & Accessories
|Short-Sleeve Shirts, Tops, Visors & Caps||$25.00|
This is actually a golf towel that can be used for tennis (notice the hole and carabiner clip at the top).
Events & Happenings
Register for the Intraclub Combo Doubles League
October 2 – November 13 – Intraclub Combo Doubles League
I’m happy to announce that I’ll be running an Intraclub Combo Doubles League for 7 weeks, from October 2 — November 13!
Play up to 6 matches in 7 weeks (one match per week). You’ll get the chance to meet other club members and play some fun, competitive matches! And you’ll play with various partners of similar skill levels.
This tournament is for club members only, so we’ve created a “Join for 1 Month & Get 3 Weeks Free” introductory offer.
Introductory Offer for Non-Members:
Join the club for one month to participate in the league and get 3 weeks free. Play in the league for the entire 7 weeks and experience all the benefits of membership.
- Deadline to register – Monday, September 20th.
- The schedule for the entire season will be posted Wednesday, September 22nd.
- Matches will be played on Saturdays, between 8:00-12:00 and 2:00-5:00.
- Each match will consist of any combination of men and women of similar skill levels.
- The match will consist of 3 sets, with partners rotating after each set.
- Sets will be played with regular scoring and a 7-point tiebreaker played at 5-games all.
- Scores for all three sets should be reported after the match.
- Player standings will be based on the highest number of games won.
- The champion and runner-up will receive a prize.
- May 29-31, Memorial Day Junior Tournament
- June 11-13, Kamehameha Day Adult & Junior Tournament
- July 10, Summer Orange Ball Tournament
- July 11, Breakfast at Wimbledon
- July 17, Summer Green Ball Tournament
- July 18-August 25, 40+ Mixed Doubles – 8.0 Division
- September 12, US Open Member Mixer – pending
- September 25, Ekolu Season starts – pending
- November 12-14, Ekolu Team Challenge – postponed from 8/20-22
May 29-31 – Memorial Day Junior Tournament
The first USTA sanctioned on-site tournament (adult or junior) in the state of Hawaii since the start of the pandemic! Players, parents, and I had to learn the new digital application, but in the end, everyone was happy to progress into the new normal tournament setting.
A total of 35 participants competed over the 3-day weekend in a non-elimination format! Players arrived from Oahu, Maui, California, Hilo, and Kona.
It was great to see junior players out on the courts again — something that I’ve missed seeing since working here. As the former Section League Coordinator for the Junior Team Tennis program for 31 years, I enjoyed watching first-hand some of Hawaii’s top juniors develop through the program!
An article was featured in West Hawaii Today.
June 11-13 – Kamehameha Day Adult & Junior Tournament
This tournament was a taste of what competition was like, back in the time before COVID. Everyone was put to the test — playing 3 matches in 3 days.
The players in bold are Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club members.
In the Women’s 3.5 Singles division, all four women held up nicely and endured the test! In the end, Barbara Springer, one of our club members, took 1st place honors. Other players were – 2nd Crystal Mather, 3rd Emily Humphrey, and 4th Jenny Peterman.
On the Men’s side, a couple of players had to withdraw due to injury and fatigue. Luckily, the tournament format stayed on course, thanks to some replacement players – Kaipo Parish, Chris Makaiwi, and Marc Wettermann.
Here were the final standings in the Men’s divisions:
Men’s 4.0 Singles – 1st Andrew Moe, 2nd Nicholas Tran, 3rd Josiah Tanguma, 4th Martin Guelich, 5th Manit Pothong, and 6th Thomas Belcher
- At age 13, Andrew Moe is an up-and-coming 8th grader from Waimea attending HPA.
Men’s 8.5 Combined Doubles – 1st Albert Murata/Lyle Crozier, 2nd Nicholas Tran/Kareem Khozaim, 3rd Andrew Moe/Marvin Kawano, 4th John McCaskill/Bob Borns, 5th Derek Inaba/Errol Llantos, 6th Manit Pothong/Marc Wettermann.
- Both Lyle (‘ 80) and Albert (‘ 79) were former Konawaena graduates. The last time Albert won a tournament at the Kona Hilton Beach & Tennis Resort (as it was called back then) was in 1978.
July 10 – Summer Orange Ball Tournament
Six up-and-coming junior players, ages 8-11, enter the 1-day event. Most of the players drove in from Hilo, one from Waikoloa, and one flew in from Honolulu. Each participant played three matches – round-robin format followed with a play-off.
In the end, Chelsea Leong (my former student from Honolulu) took the 1st place honors, and Taiki Bando (Hilo) placed 2nd. Chelsea also received the sportsmanship award voted by her peers!
All players received souvenir bag tags and prizes!
July 11 – 1st Annual Breakfast at Wimbledon
The morning started bright and early at 8:00 am. All the club members came dressed for the occasion in “Wimbledon whites” and took the courts. We played 7 rounds in a mix-and-match round-robin format.
After some FUN tennis on the court, the FOOD afterward was the reward. Thanks to everyone for all “ono” potluck food items, and of course, the champagne that went with it!
The day ended with some new FRIENDSHIPS and bringing back memories of how things used to be when we could get together!
We hope to see more of you there next year for the 2nd Annual Breakfast at Wimbledon!
July 17 – Summer Green Ball Tournament
Some of Hilo’s rising stars came out for the day to compete in the 1-day tournament. Ten juniors, ages 10-12, each played 4 matches in a round-robin format.
There were two players with 4-0 undefeated records, and the tiebreaker went down to the highest percentage of sets won! Khloe Yoshimoto came out on top, and Lia Kobayakawa had a close second-place finish.
Lia also received the sportsmanship award voted by her peers, and all the players received souvenir bag tags and prizes!
July 18-August 25 – 40+ Mixed Doubles 8.0 League Season
The Royal Kona Resort Tennis Club team defeated the only other West Hawaii team called Motley Crew. They played a total of 5 times and won 4 of them. They will proudly represent the Big Island as the only team from the East Hawaii and West Hawaii districts at the Sectional Championships!
The Fairmont Orchid will be the host site for the Sectional Championships and will hold it on September 18-19. On the team are the following club members – Norine Parish, Kari Kimura, Kam Oi Wigen, Joni Izumi-Nakamoto, Jennifer Hiro, Jennifer Torcato, Rance Tobara, John McCaskill, Kaipo Parish, Chris Wigen, Derek Inaba, and Albert Murata.